Zverev didn't know it was championship point! 'I was in the zone'

Alexander Zverev was so locked in during his US Open final victory against Ben Shelton that did not realise he had won.
After winning the championship point, the 29-year-old stayed behind to the baseline, preparing to receive Shelton’s serve. It was only when he looked around the stadium, with his team telling him the match was over, that he realised he had just become the US Open champion.
"In that moment, I was in the zone a lot. I didn't hear noise at all," Zverev shared. "I was in this kind of tunnel where I just didn't hear anything. Also, when the crowd is loud, it's impossible to hear the umpire, so I didn't hear that she said, ‘Game, set, match’. At the end of the day, I just forgot the score. I just thought it was 5-1 instead of 6-2."
The bizarre moment also helped Zverev avoid the nerves that had troubled him in his previous US Open final. In 2020, the German was just two points away from beating Dominic Thiem for the title, serving for the championship in the fifth set, before suffering a heartbreaking defeat.
https://www.atptour.com/en/news/zverev-us-open-2026-final-reaction-sunday
No comments:
Post a Comment